A bit of background to the Middle Aged Jogger

So I'm a middle aged man (although my son would say I'm old!) and in May 2015 I signed up to the Dell Management Challenge along with my colleagues at Ingram Micro.

After spending most of my youth playing lots of Rugby Union (I finally saw the light and played Rugby League!) and getting into a bit of cycling later in life I thought it would be a breeze - 2 days of Canoeing, Running, Cycling and Fell walking in the the Brecon Beacons would just need me to up may game a little in the fitness stakes and all would be good right?

Now it's worth noting that throughout my life I have been very active but I've never, ever been good at, or enjoyed, running so when I was told to try out the Endomondo running and coaching App I tried it, fully intending to try it once then give in!

At this stage (May 2015) I was nearly 18 stone and spending most of my days in a car or at a desk with very little physical exercise - now I never felt that big or overweight if I'm honest but soon realised I was, simple as that.....overweight and unfit.

So I was middle aged, overweight and unfit - not that unusual in fairness so what's the issue? Quite simply there was no issue  - sure it would be great to lose a few pounds and sure it'd be great to feel a little fitter but it didn't stop me doing things and there were many people worse off than me.

My first session with the Endomondo App saw me run/walk/run a total of 1.72 miles at an average pace of 12 mins per mile - I had no idea what this meant if I'm honest but I got a sweat on so must have been ok surely! Without going into every run for the next 4 weeks something happened that effectively changed this middle aged man's life in June 2015 - A friend said something to me that I don't believe had ever been said to me before............."you're looking well, have you lost weight?"

I cannot begin to describe how that made me feel - running (well sort of running!)  was making me lose weight and people noticed - WOW!!!! I can't stop now.

Fast forward 2 yrs........

3 stone lighter, 5 Half marathons done, 1 Great South Run (10 miles), 2 x 10K runs and averaging 13 miles per week (pinching myself as I type...)

So what will this blog be about moving forward? It will be a very down to earth, jargon less review of events, experiences, kit, gadgets and advice aimed at, well, Middle Aged Joggers!

If I can inspire one person to try running, increase their activity, enter an event they wouldn't dream of doing or just entertain then it will be job done

I will also be uploading videos on my YouTube Channel where I will be reviewing kit and events regularly - the first of which will be a review of the incredible Oakley Radar Pace coaching sunglasses (Yes you read that right!)

Later this month I will be reviewing my local 10k Race, the incredible Hook Fun Run which will have an amazing number of Hook Runners entering - please don't rain

All my YouTube videos will be recorded using the GoPro Hero 5 and really hope you find them interesting.

So, that's me signing off for now - I need to charge my sunglasses before my run tomorrow!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's a running blog without a mention of park run

First video highlighting our beautiful surroundings

My first ever Marathon - LONDON 2018