Hook Fun Run 2017

I'm not going to lie - I've never liked the term "fun run."

In my mind, a "fun run" was for people dressed as ostriches (Sorry Neil!) , astronauts, fairies or pretty much anything other than the standard running gear, aiming to just get round any pre-determined distance, usually raising money for a charity.

Today in Hook, however, my opinion of the phrase "fun run" has changed - sure it's not a great deal of fun for many during their chosen distance but if you didn't have fun as you turned up this morning to Harltetts Park for the Hook Fun run and road race the there's no hope!

 

I'm probably a bit biased as my son designed the fabulous Hook Runners logo and seeing the number of vests, t-shirts and hoodies on display certainly made me feel proud, but overall I knew I was in for a day of fun - Look at them, just look at them.....


Now, I was there to compete in the 10K road race but what is superb about this event is that there are 3 separate distances to choose from - other than the 10k, there is a 10 mile race and a 2.5 mile race. the 2.5 mile race attracts children and their parents in incredible numbers and I'm proud to say that my daughter ran her first ever race today; something I never thought I would say - she's been inspired by her Dad. The look on her face as she shared her experience with me (and of course her superb medal) is something I'll never forget and brought such a smile to my face - further evidence that it was indeed a "fun run" 

 

The 10k road race really was a wonderfully scenic route with incredibly enthusiastic marshals throughout offering encouragement, smiles, water and Haribos - all in all making the run "fun." I, personally, was running with two great friends with very different experiences of running events but we made a pact at the beginning that we would be as fast as the slowest man/woman throughout and this in itself focussed us all on team work and ensured that we had......you guessed it......fun! 

The final mile, into the village of Hook, was simply fabulous - a slight downhill all the way, with ever increasing numbers of vocal support as we approached Hartletts Park and the finish line is something I won't forget in a hurry - it really was "fun" as you can see below.


As you will know from my original blog I've run quite a few events over the last 18 months but I can, hand  on heart, say that this is one of (if not) the best events around. The tireless work from everybody involved in set up and organising means the likes of this middle aged jogger can just turn up and have.....................FUN! It has given my daughter the chance to experience her first running event and given my son an overwhelming sense of satisfaction seeing his logo in such great numbers - I can't possibly sign off without a picture of the proud designer can I?


So to every single person involved in the Hook Fun Run and Road Race - thank you! I now know what a "fun run " is and the 10 miler will be my next venture - if it's as much fun as this one, I simply can't wait!

Oh and this is what we did after the race!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's a running blog without a mention of park run

First video highlighting our beautiful surroundings

My first ever Marathon - LONDON 2018