My first ever Marathon - LONDON 2018

Well, the middlegedjogger has been absent for some time down to a few things but I'm back and sharing my latest update.

Since my last blog I competed in the Yateley 10k series of events which is a great, 1 event a month, series in the summer. The atmosphere and organisation is great, with a lovely course in addition.

I also completed my second Royal Parks Half Marathon run on closed streets of London and taking in all the Royal Parks around Westminster. Although this is quite an expensive event, it really is a wonderful atmosphere and the sightseeing during the race is outstanding. Its very well supported and would be a great first half for anybody who feels inclined. It's very heavily subscribed though and entries are via a ballot.

Speaking of ballots.......

As my running has been improving both in terms of distance and pace I decided to apply for the London Marathon 2018. Is it something I have always wanted to do? No. Is it something I thought about for a couple of minutes so decided to enter? No. I put lots of time and consideration into my decision to apply through the ballot system, and waited with intrepidation for the post to arrive around October time. Once I'd registered, it was in my head - I simply had to get a place so my disappointment in not getting in through the ballot was palpable. - cue the hundreds of emails, Facebook posts, tweets etc telling me not to worry, I could apply for a charity place. Now this got me thinking and I put a great deal of thought into this and took the following into consideration


  • How desperately do I want to do this?
  • Can I commit to the fundraising target?
  • Can I actually fit in the training required?
  • What impact will it have on my family?
  • Which charity do I want to support?
  • Which charity will ensure support from friends and family? 
I narrowed it down to 3 charities and took the plunge - I'd applied for a charity place.  Within 24 hrs I was contacted by Whizz-Kidz who read my application and offered me a place - I was over the moon, ecstatic, SCARED!! I paid my entry fee and my fundraising page was created

Here's my fundraising page

So fast forward 4 months, I am only £700 short of target with 2 big events coming up, and the support and advice from  Whizz Kidz has been nothing short of incredible. The generosity of people supporting me has totally blown my mind. Things have been very tough for me in recent months so every bit of support, whether monetary or verbal is met with a huge amount of humility and pride. I promise not to let you all down!

I'm now 7 weeks away from the marathon, averaging about 39 miles per week with a few big mileage weeks to come - cheers weather!!!

Training in this weather is not easy!!






















Last thoughts......

  • If you have any interest in entering any events I would strongly advise you to sign up with Let's Do This  - it is an absolutely fabulous website for all running, cycling, triathlon, swimming (anything basically) events and you can taylor your notifications to let you know when events are happening in your area 


  • I have recently started using compression socks from Hilly which I can highly recommend - I have been susceptible to cramp on longer runs but these are both incredibly comfortable and effective- they are also cheaper than other better known brands - give them a try!
  • Please take some time to read a bit more about Whizz Kidz and the work they do with disabled children, they really are a wonderful charity and am proud to be running for them.
  • Finally - I am running the London landmarks Half Marathon on 25th March and will review the event via the blog shortly after.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's a running blog without a mention of park run

First video highlighting our beautiful surroundings